Friday, June 2, 2017

Review: Journey Under the Midnight Sun

Journey Under the Midnight Sun Journey Under the Midnight Sun by Keigo Higashino
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

SPOILER ALERT. Read it only if you have read the book.


"Some people walk forever in the sunlight, and some people have to walk through the darkest night their whole lives.... I've never lived in the sunlight....No, there never was a sun in the sky over me. It's always night...."

Excuse me, while I puke because these sob lines are spoken by one of the most sadistic, manipulative, cold-blooded b%*#s I have come across in books. The woman who uses men and then throws them over and who gets her female competitors raped really wants us to believe that she has had a hard life. This one doesn't spare even her friend. Why? Coz the friend one day turned smart and beautiful and started garning male attention. And, of course, our self-pitying female couldn't bear it, and so got her sexually molested by her pet-dog Ryo, who would go to any extent to satisfy her- murder, rape, betrayal. She even gets him to rape her underage step-daughter and if that wasn't enough, forces herself also upon the young girl.

And what is her rationale? Because she was sexually abused as a young child so, of course, everything is justified. Even killing her foster mother because the old lady was lingering on.

And Ryo? The boy who killed his father when he saw him sexually assaulting a young girl, in the end rapes a young girl himself.

Giving it two stars only because of my loyalty towards Higashino and because Kazunari was able to manfully resist Yukiho (Three cheers for him).

*

First Line: Sasagaki left the station and headed west along the tracks.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Oh, what a shame this one was such a disappointment, Neeru. I like Higashino very much, too, and was wondering about this one. Hm.....Now I think I'll wait and see what comes next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first Higashino that has disappointed me, Margot. It is very different too from his other books: No sense of justice and a little too sexually explicit.

      Delete