Monday, March 13, 2017

Review: The Boy That Never Was

The Boy That Never Was The Boy That Never Was by Karen Perry
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Another book that promises more than it delivers.

Harry and Robin are coping with the grief of losing their three old son. Though it was a natural calamity that took him away yet both are full of guilt and resentment which is straining their relationship, or what is left of it anyway.

This book seemed to drag in the beginning then seemed to perk up in the middle but the climax completely ruined it. I liked Harry and his friends - Spenser and Cozimo. He seemed more closed to them than to his own wife. Wish at least one chapter p-o-v had been provided to both at least.

All I could think at the end was that nobody really cared about the child. They all wanted him to satisfy something within themselves without really bothering about his needs and wants.

*

First Line: A storm is rising.
Alternate Title: The Innocent Sleep

View all my reviews

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review, but it sounds too heavy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean about a slow start to a book, Neeru. And it sounds like a very sad story in its way. Hmmm...not sure this one's for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Margot and Elgin for having a look. And yes, it deals with something that even I dread reading about. But it got some rave reviews, so I decided to read it. I should have known better...

    ReplyDelete