Friday, January 27, 2017

Review: The Hog's Back Mystery by Freeman Wills Crofts

The Hog's Back Mystery The Hog's Back Mystery by Freeman Wills Crofts
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This review contains SPOILERS. So please do not read it unless you have read the book as this gives away the murderer.


Opening Lines: “Ursula! I am glad to see you!” Julia Earle moved forward to the carriage door to greet the tall, well-dressed woman who stepped down on the platform of the tiny station of Ash in Surrey.

Series: Inspector French #10
First Published: 1933
Pages: 223

Other Books read of the same author: Sir John Macgill's Last Journey




Has it ever happened to you that a line coming somewhere at the end has destroyed the entire book for you or at least lessened to a great extent your enjoyment of it? To me, this happens quite often. This mystery too which was proceeding pretty finely, despite all the plodding, suddenly lost its charm because of this line:

Alice had always hated her brother, and had kept house for him solely for financial reasons.

Where in the text was this hatred presented???????? The Campions were portrayed as a loving family and Alice, the chatterbox, seemed to be having her way always. In fact, she even dictated terms to her brother who seemed to give way to her good naturedly. Just because he turned out to be the villain of the piece the writer seems at pains to show that Alice was so innocent that she merely kept the house for him for financial reason. Excuse me, but what is presented of Alice is hardly true of this. She is too spirited to merely yoke herself to a situation she dislikes only for financial reasons. And what about the other sister???? The writer makes no mention of her. Nor of Marjorie for that matter.

A good mystery that left a bad-taste in my mouth only because of this statement that rings absolutely false. However, I give it three stars for a good mystery that had me guessing though I did suspect the doctor although not his accomplice.

And with this, I light the first candle for my bhuaji.

Sign-Up



6 comments:

  1. I know what you mean, Neeru, I like it best, too, when books follow through with statements like that. It's really irksome when they don't. I am glad you found some things to like about the book, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why writers spoil their books like this. It is very irritating but yes, the mystery itself was good. And I want to read more of Crofts.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for linking up to the British Books Challenge x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for hosting the challenge.

      Delete
  3. Neer, that cover would be enough for me to pick up this book, which looks like a hardback. I have been jarred by certain elements in the narrative though not so much by lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I absolutely adore the cover, Prashant. At times, writers write something, usually to create sympathy for a certain character, which completely destroys the book for me. I find it very irritating, esp if I had been enjoying the book till then.

      Delete